[BLDG-SIM] On-site U-value measurement

Brandon Nichols BrandonN at Hargis.biz
Wed May 9 12:09:39 PDT 2007

Hello Gunes,

What I was originally thinking was along the lines of tuning the UAΔT equation with a correction factor, based on a wall area with known U-value somewhere in your plant, so that relative U-values could be calculated directly from thermal image ΔT data elsewhere.

Given a known indoor temperature, this correction factor would account for a minor offset in camera calibration, or alternatively could be used to "tune" the camera calibration, with the objective of obtaining U-values accurate out two or three decimal places.

The application you describe is a bit different than what I was first envisioning.  If you're scanning residential walls, with less of an emphasis on accuracy and greater emphasis on surveying large areas quickly, then you may consider this approach:

Since U is inversely proportional to ΔT, select an area of a given scanned wall with an estimable U-value, e.g. window, door, or framing elements.  Knowing the indoor temperature Ti and neglecting effects of radiation, convection and thermal inertia (apologies in advance to all heat-transfer academics), then U-values of unknown areas are essentially a product of the inverse of the differential temperatures times the known U-value:

  U2 = U1 * ((Ti-T1)/(Ti-T2))

Lets say the indoor temperature is measured at 20°C, a window in the thermal scan is estimated at a U-value of 1.0 W/m2*°C, and the external scan shows the window and adjacent wall temperatures to be 16°C and 10°C respectively:

  U2 = 1.0 * ((20-16)/(20-10)) = 0.4 W/m2*°C

...for the U-value of the wall.  Here's where your thermal imaging postprocessing software will come in handy...exclude the window, and calculate the average surface temperature of the remaining wall to use in the equation above.

Hope that helps...

Regards

Brandon Nichols, PE
Mechanical