[BLDG-SIM] Two-part Appendix G Question regarding locker room facilities

Michael Tillou michael.tillou at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:22:11 PDT 2007

I am looking for some un-official opinions on an interpretation of Appendix
G .

I am modeling a university stadium facility and the as-designed systems
serving the locker room areas are constant volume reheat with heat recovery.
The intent is that these systems will run continuously for moisture and odor
control.

Problem #1 :  Based on the CFA, # of FLRs, and HT Type the baseline system
is System 7 VAV with Reheat.  However G3.1.2.5 states that the minimum
ventilation would need to match the as-designed systems which in this case
would be 100% design airflow.  Does the baseline in this case become
constant volume because I have to maintain the same ventilation in both
models?   Or does minimum outside air ventilation refer to whatever is
required by individual State code regardless of the as-designed case?

My opinion is that the decision to use 100% constant volume outside air is a
design decision rather than a code/standard mandatory requirement.   In this
case minimum ventilation for locker rooms is 0.5 cfm/sq.ft dedicated
exhaust.   The additional energy associated with providing constant 100% OA
greater than 0.5 CFM/sq.ft. should not be included in the Appendix G
baseline,  but rather the baseline should meet the minimum ventilation
requirements of the local state code.

Problem #2: How do I resolve the fact that the system will be operated
continuously even though the space isn't occupied? Appendix G says systems
shall run continuously during occupied periods and intermittently during
unoccupied periods.   The locker rooms have low occupancy and therefore if I
only model the systems operating during occupied periods the annual building
energy cost will be significantly lower than reality and the aggregate
effect of other energy efficiency measures will be much greater (ie: the %
cost savings for LEED will be much higher ) because the locker rooms only
account for 20% of the total conditioned floor area but 40-50% of total
energy cost).

Again I am going to argue that operating the systems continuously is a
design decision and not a code/standard regulated requirement.  The
additional energy associated with continuously operating the systems should
be considered "process" energy and included in the baseline.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Michael Tillou, PE, LEED
Tillou Engineering, LLC