[BLDG-SIM] Modeling of spaces above and below ground

Kevin Kyte kkyte at robsonwoese.com
Mon Oct 1 08:28:15 PDT 2007

In a project in which a new construction building is being built into the
side of a hill, I encounter several spaces that will require both Exterior
Wall Construction and Underground Wall Construction.  I am curious how it
will effect the building simulation if an exterior and underground wall were
both modeled on the same vertex point of a space.  Is this recognized?
Does this result in accurate simulation?  Should I just create an extra
vertex point to make one half be exterior and the other half underground?

I was forwarded this article "UNDERGROUND SURFACES: HOW TO GET A BETTER
UNDERGROUND SURFACE HEAT TRANSFER CALCULATION IN DOE-2.1E"

by Fred Winkelmann,   http://gundog.lbl.gov/dirun/23n_d_1.pdf .  I don't
know if this is the same situation or not.  If I find an effective U-value
between the two constructions am I to yield more accurate results?

Any help would be most appreciated.

kevin