[BLDG-SIM] Meeting umnet hours - Equest

Sheila sagerer at sevengroup.com
Mon Oct 22 10:14:22 PDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

Several things I look at when trying to limit the unmet hours in a building:

1.  First of all, look at SS-R and SS-F reports to get a better handle on what is going on, is there simultaneous heating and cooling during the winter?  If so, the tstat setpoints may be too close.

2.  Do you have the economizer turned on during the winter for "free cooling" and to limit the use of mechanical cooling?This is accomplished through the OA schedule, see the help screen.  Often a separate schedule is needed for each AHU.  To turn the economizer on but limit the OA during unoccupied periods, use a 0.01 as the fraction.  If you turn it to 0.0, you turn off the ecenomizer completely.

3.  During the winter, you may be able to set the cooling setpoint slightly higher to limit the use of mechanical heating; i.e. say up to 78 or 80 instead of 75.

4.  Is your OA turned off during optimal start periods or periods when you are trying to bring the spaces back to occupied temeratures?

5.  If there are unmet heating hours during the summer, do you have the tstat setpoints set back to say 55F so that heating doesn't come on?

All of the above involve schedules.  Keep in mind that the schedules must be identical in both the proposed and budget buildings.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Sheila Sagerer
Energy Engineer, EIT, LEED AP
Energy Opportunities, Inc, a 7group company
Phone: 717-880-9069
Fax: 717-291-9497
www.sevengroup.com