[BLDG-SIM] Meeting umnet hours - Equest

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Mon Oct 22 09:48:54 PDT 2007

Kevin -

You may well have tried this, but a first cut at it would be to check out the SS-R reports for any seriously offending zones. If there are any, find the LS-B report for each of those zones and see if any of the components of the maximum load stand out as large contributors and adjust the specifications of those components, if it seems reasonable to do so. If it's any consolation, I am in the throes of the same exercise and it is reminiscent of trying to hold a fistful of eels - very frustrating. I will be very interested to see what anyone may have to say about getting a variance on the 300 hours. I'm also very concerned about running into the same (or worse) situation when trying to get the baseline the match within 50 unmet-load hours of the proposed building. Thanks for posing these questions.

  _____

From: BLDG-SIM at gard.com [mailto:BLDG-SIM at gard.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Kyte
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 7:30 AM
To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
Subject: [BLDG-SIM] Meeting umnet hours - Equest

Dear All,

I would like some guidance concerning methodologies for systematically meeting unmet hour requirements as indicated in ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G3.1.2.2.  When all building systems are believed to be correctly entered and unmet hours are out of range.  I know I can make certain changes to this model to obtain less than 300 unmet hours.  Is there any unspoken hierarchy of steps to input changes?  Or is it all just guesswork?  Is there anything that is a no-no and should not be changed?  Specifically, I have a project in which the building energy management system allows cooling when the temperature is above 55°F leading to several thousand unmet hours for this heating dominated building with unusually high insulation and solar transmittance values and way oversized existing equipment.  If I making cooling available year round then gone, all better.  Of course there is that graph that shows how cooling in the winter is over half the cooling in used in summertime.  Or should I go through each zone and systematically  change occupancies, equipment wattages, outside airflows, bogus baseboard heating (anything else I can fit in here) and then do several hundred iterations of simulations until someday I may finally have under 300 unmet hours for this ... standard.  Do I even need to meet this 300 hours, for LEED purposes I would have to, correct?

Yours thoughts, PLEASE?

====================================================You received this e-mail because you are subscribed