[BLDG-SIM] An eQUEST mailing list?

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Wed Sep 26 08:41:06 PDT 2007

I think you lose a little bit in the forum as under the listserv format
everyone gets your question.  I occasionally will offer a suggestion if
I see something on the listserv.  I don't know that I'd do it as often
with the forum -- I'd be going there more often to ask my own questions.

I could see maybe listserv as-is, and separate eQuest forum.  (Or heck,
most bulletin board software that I've seen could accommodate multiple
software groups and topics for each.)

Certainly wouldn't want to see the bldg-sim go away.

David

Kyte
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:09 AM
> To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
>
> Completely not interested in a forum, I can just see everyone with
their
> avatars and stars and number of posts and forum ranking just
emoticoning
> away.  Good Grieve Charlie Brown.

Casella
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:26 AM
> To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
>
> You know, it doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  It can be as
simple
> as a phpbb based message board which is hosted online by whatever
> company you sign up with.  I have experience as an administrator on a
> few different forums and I can tell you that they are very simple to
> maintain and moderate.
> I would be very interested in helping with this idea.
>
> Mike Casella

Ellis,
> >Peter
> >Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:55 PM
> >To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
> >

> >I've been listening to both sides of this thread, and I have to say I
> >kind of agree with both!  Yeah, it does get a little burdensome to
get
> >all of the eQUEST/DOE2-related questions in my mail box because I'm
not
> >a user of those programs.  But sometimes it IS hard to separate the
> >general modeling questions from the program specific ones.  And it
can
> >be informative to see what the other programs are up to as well.
> >
> >My proposal is to move BLDG-SIM to a forum format.  There's some
> >powerful--and widely used--software out there these days for managing
> >web-based forums.  I think most forum programs offer standard
features
> >like dedicated topics, searching of threads, customizable interface,
> >etc.  I'm sure most of us have run across this type of web-based
forum
> >before.
> >
> >To address our specific problems, it seems like it would make sense
> >have a dedicated topic for eQUEST on there, as well as topics for
> >"General Simulation Questions", "LEED", "ASHRAE 90.1", and I'm sure
> >several others would be appropriate too..."Simulation
Interfaces"...who