[Bldg-sim] Water-Side Economizer

Xu, Xiaowei xiaowei.xu at ny.fk.com
Thu Apr 24 12:06:13 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have some questions about the Water-Side Economizer simulation in
eQUEST. I searched for this topic in the simulation group archive. It
seems that someone also had the problems with the simulation of
water-side economizer but no one answered it.

Currently I am working with an office building with DX coil system. The
proposed design uses the water side economizer because the air-side
economizer is not available. I added the water side economizer into the
existing condenser water loop. But the simulated result showed the
system with water-side economizer had more energy consumption than the
system w/o economizer because of more energy consumed by the fan, pump
and cooling tower.

Here is question about the simulations setting in eQUEST for water-side
economizer:

1. what loop should the water-side economizer be attached to: the
current existing condenser water loop or a new condenser water loop?

I tried both and got quite different results. None of them saved energy.

2. what temperature in eQUEST should be used for control the water
economizer? If the current existing condenser water loop is used, how to
control the temperature both for the water-side economizer and the DX
coil?

3. How to set the control for the cooling tower?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Xiaowei Xu

Engineer

  FLACK + KURTZ

475 Fifth Avenue

New York, NY 10017

http://www.flackandkurtz.com <http://www.flackandkurtz.com/>

212.532.9600 Main

212.951.2662 Direct

212.689.7489 Fax
xiaowei.xu at ny.fk.com

Ensuring that today's built environment preserves the natural
environment in which we live.

error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this email is strictly forbidden.