[Bldg-sim] Ground-to-air heat exchangers

Gerald Pde geraldpde at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 10:26:00 PDT 2008

What I have previously to model earth-tubes is to
manipulate the weather file that is going in eQUEST.
In my case it was pretty straight forward because the
space being served was internal so there was no heat
transfer from external walls. Hence I was able to use
this method.

1) Modeled the air temperature coming out of an earth
duct in TRNSYS. TRNSYS has ground-air HX types but
also a specific type( Type 260 developed by
Hollmuller) that can model earth ducts.

2) I then manually modified a tmy2 file for the
location and replaced the dry-bulb, RH and dew-point
with the properties of the air coming out of the tube.

3) Converted the TMY2 files to DOE-2 weather file.

Again, I had to do this because we were evaluating the
total energy savings of an earth duct for
preconditioning. Modifying weather files is definitely
not recommended if the building or space sees outside
conditions.

Hope this helps.
Gerald