[Bldg-sim] Campus Chillers

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Mon Dec 29 09:23:40 PST 2008

Also - if you're doing this for LEED documentation and the project was
registered AFTER May 28th 2008, you will need to comply with the
modeling protocols in this document:

http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=4176

Otherwise, the best way to do this is to get the rates (as James has
described below) and set up a steam meter and utility rate based on the
rate. Make sure that the chilled water rate calculated takes into
account the cooling tower loads as well.

Lastly - you will find that when you model the chilled water rates, your
utility bills probably go down (or they should), while your energy use
goes up.  I had a similar issue and was confused, until it was pointed
out to me that the cooling energy reported in the BEPU report is
actually the space cooling load and not the actual energy. In reality,
if you have a campus chiller that runs at 0.65 kW/ton and with cooling
tower energy (pumps fans etc) it goes up to 0.75 kW/ton, then you need
to factor that in to get the actual cooling energy. Keep in mind - you
only need to factor in the heat rejection energy (cooling tower fans &
pumps) - not the chilled water loop energy - that should already be
modeled. If your COP of the system - chiller+heat rejection is 4 (for
simplicity), then your actual cooling load is 1/4th the reported load.

Hope this helps

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
1201 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30361
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
Please visit our new website | www.lordaecksargent.com
<file:///\\www.lordaecksargent.com\>

P Think GREEN before you print.