[Bldg-sim] Day Schedule TYPES

Eleanor Lee eslee at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 4 11:04:21 PST 2008

It depends on what product you're trying to represent or, if custom to
the job, what your control specifications are.  Automated shades can be
triggered based on depth of sun penetration, interior illuminance,
discomfort glare, lack of urban shadows, etc (see example specifications
for a fairly sophisticated automated roller shade system at:
http://windows.lbl.gov/comm_perf/pdf/NYT_RShades-Spec12-31-04.pdf

Assuming that eQuest's interior shade models do not deviate from DOE-2's
algorithms, the interior shade model is fairly simplistic: it is either
fully up or fully down depending on trigger values for transmitted solar
radiation, discomfort glare, etc.  Historically, we've used 30 Btu/h-ft2
for transmitted direct (beam) solar radiation.  Best to run parametrics
to better understand impacts of trigger values on PPD and discomfort
glare.  See DOE-2 reference manual 2.1E Loads documentation on window
shading management.

Eleanor Lee

Windows & Daylighting Group
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory