[Bldg-sim] gas: Btus to cost via pricing scheme

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Mon Jan 7 08:49:28 PST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to take my gas use output numbers (Btus) and calculate the
cost of the gas using the pricing scheme from the local utility (Keyspan
in Boston) for a LEED certification. However, I can't figure out what
the scheme means. Can someone tell me what these numbers mean, in terms
of how to write an equation to take my hourly outputs of gas use (from
Trnsys, but I'm doing this in Excel) and calculate final (monthly) cost?

"Customer Charge (fixed): $550.41": I'm assuming this is the monthly
base fee.
"Distribution Charge: $1.0322": Dollars per ...?
"Cost of Gas Adjustment CGA (mdcq): $0.8432": Again, no idea
"Cost of Gas Adjustment CGA (Therm): 0.8651": ...
"Local Distrib. Adjustment Charge LDAC: $0.0491": ...

(These numbers are under the heading "High Load Factor General Service
Rate - Extra Large," this is for a rather large commercial building
complex.

I've gone to the utility's website and found this data, but nothing to
explain it, nor anywhere else on the web. I called them, and just get
passed around their service department because no one seems to be able
to understand how I can have gas numbers without having a building!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Cramer

J. Cramer Silkworth
silkworth at transsolar.com
+49 0711-67976-182
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH
http://www.transsolar.com <http://www.transsolar.com/>
Stuttgart - Munich - New York

Climate Engineering: Technologies for energy-efficiency and user comfort
in buildings.
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH, Curiestrasse 2, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany

Amtsgericht Stuttgart -  HRB 23347 / USt-IdNr.: 99073/00911

Partners: Dipl.Ing. Matthias Schuler, Dipl.Ing. Thomas Auer, Dipl.Phys.
Stefan Holst