[Bldg-sim] Expert Opinion on Energ. Bldg Simulation in Urban Context

fazia.alitoudert at daad-alumni.de fazia.alitoudert at daad-alumni.de
Wed Jan 9 03:28:34 PST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am just starting with a research dealing with the energy performance
of urban
buildings. The focus is put on the urban context, that is how would be
the energy consumption, thermal and comfort conditions of a building
if placed in a dense built area? also which urban and building
describers are the most decisive? Several urban arrangements (plan
density, H/W, etc.) and various building shapes (and
properties:Materials, Use, etc.) will be studied.

I am right now looking for the best tool for performing my
simulations, so preferably a building energy model (with a strong
physical basis) but including a 3D geometry module.
I would be very grateful if I can have some expert opinion on which
tool would be the most appropriate:
1. TRNSYS is a powerful tool but I still do not know whether it can
include any
surrounding buildings (or even vertical screens offset from the main
building which would serve to represent those surroudings?)
2. TAS includes a 3D modeller which allows the design of the whole 3D
area but I have not used it so far so I do not really know its
capabilities, strengthens and weaknesses.
3. Other models...? Please let me know for any proposed tool about its
ease of use vs. complexity. and how much time I need to learn use it.
4. Of course, I welcome every advice, literature references, or any
useful material.
Many Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Fazia A.

Fazia Ali-Toudert, Arch. Ph.D.
University of Dortmund - Faculty of Building
Chair for Environmental Architecture
Baroper Str. 301
D-44227 Dortmund
Phone:  +49 231 755 5426