[Bldg-sim] Expert Opinion on Energ. Bldg Simulation in Urban Context

Aulbach, John jaulbach at nexant.com
Wed Jan 9 10:32:29 PST 2008

Hi Farzia:

I am sure there are more robust, but more complicated 3-D models to use.
But many of us use eQuest, which is based on DOE-2.2. The 2.2 program is
an advance of the 25+ years of experience used in the US Department of
Energy's supported DOE-2 program. eQuest now gives us a front end to at
least ramp up various levels of intensity. There are three levels of
opportunity:

1) Schematic Design Wizard - Using a basic floor shape, one can do a
cursory building and a few Energy Efficiency Measures (EEMs).

2) Design Development Wizard - Input floor by floor footprint shapes (or
multiple buildings) with the same level of EEM detail as the Schematic
Wizard.

3) Detailed interface - After creating your building (or buildings) in
either of the above Wizards, input anything DOE-2.2 can muster.

All three levels can generate a 3-D interface.

You will still need to take a training course to acquaint you with the
basic program "theology" and hierarchies. But I believe this will give
you the best "bang for the buck (or Euro) that is presently available.

And this forum wonderful experts can give you assistance 24/7 (or so it
seems).