[Bldg-sim] Expert Opinion on Energ. Bldg Simulation in Urban Context

akram rosheidat rosheidat at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 17:45:58 PST 2008

I agree with John, eQuest can be used to simulate an urban scenario using the Design Development Wizard and the Detailed mode. I am not aware of any single software that is geared specifically for an "urban:" scenario testing. However, eQuest allows you to create multiple buildings on a site, and the "fixed shades" feature allows you to create shading shapes on the building exterior simulating street and landscape objects that interact with the building. I am not sure however, about eQuest's handling of radiant exchange between the street materials and the buildings and between the buildings themselves. I've only used it for single building analysis.

Another software that I looked at (only scratching the surface though) is ECOTECT, which seems to address some of the urban issues that you're interested in. The advantage is that it is a European software and uses metric units which is probably more compatible with your research. However, it is not free (euro 325 for educational purposes euro 80 for student) whereas eQuest is.

http://www.squ1.com/ecotect/features

Respectfully

Akram Rosheidat,
Architect
TRK Architecture & Facilities Management, Inc.
2632 East Thomas Rd.
Phoenix -
Arizona
85016