[Bldg-sim] Printing Equest Reports in Color

Christina A. Snyder CASnyder at ic.org
Wed Jul 30 13:15:10 PDT 2008

I've not had that problem w/ Equest so much, but have had problem's
printing at all from certain websites that are protective of
intellectual property. Two work-arounds to try:

1. Print to .pdf first. You can download free pdf printing software for
MS windows environments (as well as a free .pdf editor) from the
pdf995.com website. Once installed, it works just like printing to any
other printer from any application you are using; in your print dialogue
box use the printer drop down menu to choose "pdf995" as the printer to
send to, make any changes to settings as needed to get the print preview
to look as you want it to, then tell it to print, and it generates a
.pdf file. Then you can print that .pdf to paper using a regular printer
or just e-mail it to clients.

If even the above doesn't work, as has happened to me when a website is
blocking printing altogether, the ultimate fallback failsafe is:
2. Use "screen capture" to save the entire contents of the screen (or
the window of your choice on my Mac) as a graphic image file. If you
search Windows Help for "screen capture", you should find instructions
for how to do this on your operating system. I last used a Windows
machine several years ago and it worked then, so I'd really be surprised
if Windows doesn't support this basic functionality anymore. On the Mac
it is done with the "Grab" application in the "utilities" folder under
"Applications". The downside of using a screen capture is that for a
multi-page report you have to view each page on the screen and capture
it separately manually. But once you've got the images, you can crop out
anything irrelevant with photo editing software and then reassemble them
into a multi-page report by inserting them into something like MS Word.
You can also pick and choose among images and add your own commentary
this way to fit it to the comprehension skills of your audience.

Hope this helps if you can't figure out what Equest or your printer
drivers are doing wrong,
Christina
--
  Christina A. Snyder