[Bldg-sim] Heat Recovery - Effectiveness Calculation

Alec Stevens astevens at dmiinc.com
Thu Jul 10 05:40:52 PDT 2008

Mark,
Given your selection data, I would have calculated effectiveness as
	(35.5-6)/(55-6)=60%.

However, I think it is worthwhile to get some selections at other than
design conditions, because it is likely that this type of system is most
effective at the coldest outdoor air conditions.  With some different
selections, you might calculate a weighted average efficiency, if eQuest
only allows a single number to be input.

Also, don’t forget to account for the added pressure drop (and fan power) on
the air-side supply and exhaust streams, and the pump power requirement for
the run-around loop.  If the HR coil pressure drop is substantial, it might
be worthwhile to consider a coil bypass option for the many hours between
about 50ºF and 80ºF when you will not need this heat recovery.

Sincerely,
Alec Stevens, PE, LEED AP
DMI

35 Walnut Street, Wellesley, MA 02481