[Bldg-sim] Daylight saving simulation in eQUEST

Eleanor Lee eslee at lbl.gov
Fri Jun 20 10:02:34 PDT 2008

The numbers seem reasonable but there are a few ways you can check:

1. If you're using DOE-2/ Equest, check the depth of your zone &
photosensor location against head height of window. Rule of thumb is
daylit depth is ~1.5 times head height of window so typical zone depth
for 9-ft ceiling is about 15 ft with sensor at 2/3rds or 10 ft distance
from window.  DOE-2 has limitations in calc with split-flux method:
internally reflected component is overestimated for distances greater
than approx 2 times head height of window which can lead to
overestimation of lighting energy use savings.   Also, pay attention to
interior shading schedule/ modeling assumptions.  If you have a bare
window, you're going to get great savings but uncomfortable occupants.

2. Check results against some other software packages:
DAYSIM or Daylight123 via Christoph Reinhardt, which uses Radiance as
core engine but friendly user interface
Run your facade design through http://commglazing.datrona.com/facade.php
in about 5 minutes (database based on DOE-2)
Run SPOT tool  (Radiance with GUI)
Compare switching strategies vs dimming strategies (ballast energy
consumption differs between strategies), include occupancy-sensors in
model for base & test cases

3. Field data:
New York Times Headquarters monitored data for open plan office with
actively managed shades:
http://gaia.lbl.gov/btech/papers/56979.pdf
30-48% avg annual lighitng energy savings for west facing windows and
75% for bilaterally daylit SW facing windows
with dimming, setpoint tuning, nighttime occupancy (no occ sensors
during daytime since open plan).
Owner informally reports an operating avg LPD of 0.35 W/ft2 for May/June
08 with installed LPD of 1.0 W/ft2.
http://windows.lbl.gov/comm_perf/newyorktimes.htm

HMG, NREL, Weidt Group reports savings that are significantly less than
predicted savings depending on attention paid to proper execution
(reports published on 0-10V systems) & in particular for sidelighting
applications.  DALI-enabled digital lighting controls (used at NYT) is
making it easier to achieve more reliable results but still not a slam
dunk yet.

Hope this helps,
el.