[Bldg-sim] Modeling partly exposed roof in each floor with eQUEST

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Tue Mar 11 18:18:14 PDT 2008

You hit on one of eQUEST's weaknesses.  When you model one shell on
another, eQUEST does not determine the exposed roof area.  You either
put a roof on the entire lower shell or on none of the lower shell.  I
tend to put no roof (adiabatic as you suggested) on the lower shells
then in the detailed edit I add equivalent area roofs on the lower zones
with exposed roof areas.  I don't tend to create the roof polygons
(unless the 3D image is really important to the client), I just add
square roofs of equivalent area to the lower zones or plenums.

Hope this helps. (Can't wait until this one is resolved. -- I discovered
it when I built a building with 4 stacked shells and ended up with
triple the expected roof area -- hard to explain in a design meeting!)

Brian