[Bldg-sim] Modeling partly exposed roof in each floor with eQUEST

Bishop, Bill bbishop at PathfinderEngineers.com
Wed Mar 12 06:20:36 PDT 2008

bbishop at pathfinderengineers.com

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Brian
Fountain
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:18 PM
To: Zhen Tian
Cc: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] Modeling partly exposed roof in each floorwith
eQUEST

You hit on one of eQUEST's weaknesses.  When you model one shell on
another, eQUEST does not determine the exposed roof area.  You either
put a roof on the entire lower shell or on none of the lower shell.  I
tend to put no roof (adiabatic as you suggested) on the lower shells
then in the detailed edit I add equivalent area roofs on the lower zones

with exposed roof areas.  I don't tend to create the roof polygons
(unless the 3D image is really important to the client), I just add
square roofs of equivalent area to the lower zones or plenums.

Hope this helps. (Can't wait until this one is resolved. -- I discovered

it when I built a building with 4 stacked shells and ended up with
triple the expected roof area -- hard to explain in a design meeting!)

Brian

ulbach, John wrote:
> I BELIEVE, Sir, that eQuest will treat any exposed roof will be roof
> and any adiabatic floor to floor will be floor.
>
> Where you can get goofed up is a plenum that covers the entire floor.
> Try to keep each space with its own plenum, or can the plenums all
> together.

Tian
> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:05 PM
> *To:* bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
> *Subject:* [Bldg-sim] Modeling partly exposed roof in each floor with
> eQUEST
>
> Hello, all,
>
> I have a question regarding modeling roof in eQUEST. In the high-rise
> building that I am going to model, each floor will have partly exposed

> floor (the bottom floor has the largest footprint and gradually
> reduced foot print in the upper floors) and shape is complicated.
>
> Does someone has some experience to model the roof? Since each floor
> has partly exposed roof, when I model the roof as adiabatic, then the
> exposed roof will be missing. If I model the whole floor with roof,
> then lots of roof will be redundant. If I delete these redundant roof,

> then some zones will be exposed to the exterior without roof while
> there should be some roof area.
>
> I found it is difficult to create roof shape with plolygon in eQUEST.
> Is the separation of the parts with and without roof into different
> shells the best way to model this condition or is there any better
> methods?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> David