[Bldg-sim] Approach to Modeling a Central Energy Plant

Seth P. Spangler sspangle at rmf.com
Tue May 6 12:39:26 PDT 2008

Hello All,

I recently received a request to model a large boiler plant. The plant
is actually a major renovation, so major the project is going for
LEED-NC. Before I start gathering materials for the model I want to make
sure I have the correct approach in place.

The overwhelming majority of the plant is mechanical space that is not
conditioned - just mechanically ventilated.

Approximately 200 SF (auxiliary office space) of the building is heated
and cooled.

My understanding is that I will need to model the whole building with
the mechanical portion being served by ventilation fans and the
auxiliary spaces served by heating/cooling systems. The boilers will be
metered as process loads and all other mechanical equipment will act the
same as in a "standard" energy model. I am concerned about meeting and
exceeding the two point requirement for EA credit 1.

Is this the correct approach? If you have any tips or tricks from
previously modeled CEPs please share.

Thanks in advance.

Seth Spangler, LEED(r) AP

Design Engineer