[Bldg-sim] Balance point temperature for houses

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Fri May 9 11:36:06 PDT 2008

David,
Thanks for pointing that out - there is a typo in the paper. The formula
should read

QSOL + QEQU + QPPL = (M*CP + UABLD) x (TDES - TBAL)

The software uses the correct formula though. At this point we (Lord
Aeck Sargent & The Rocky Mountain Institute) use this as a schematic
design tool on quite a few projects, and find its quite useful. The plan
is to ultimately make this available freely (I would like to make it
work with the new TMY3 files before I start giving it away though).

Once again - thanks for pointing out the typo - sharp eyes (sharper than
mine when I was typing out the paper at 2am).

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
1201 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30361
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
www.lordaecksargent.com

Please don't print this email unless you really have to.
In the United States, we use enough office paper each year to build a
10-foot high wall that's 6,815 miles long or two and a half times the
distance from New York to Los Angeles.

~ Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, "Recycling Facts and
Figures," PUBL CE-163, 2002.