[Bldg-sim] Plant Process Loads

Seth P. Spangler sspangle at rmf.com
Tue May 20 05:04:09 PDT 2008

Hello All,

I am in the planning stage of modeling a campus boiler plant. I have two
questions as follows:

1)       ASHRAE/LEED require a minimum process energy of 25% of the
total building energy. I am predicting that my plant (15 boilers plus
pumps etc.) process load will be 95% of my buildings energy use if not
more. Is there a way to reduce the process energy use of the plant for
energy modeling purposes other than an exceptional calculation method?

2)       Is this a situation where I could perform an exceptional
calculation and compare a "standard" boiler plant to the high efficiency
one that is being installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Seth Spangler, LEED(r) AP

Design Engineer