[Bldg-sim] Space Cooling Energy Consumption with GSHP

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Wed May 14 06:38:09 PDT 2008

The efficiency of any water source heat pump is dictated by the temperature
of the water loop.  Create an hourly report output showing geothermal loop
temperatures.  You can then check this against the heat pump chart to
determine if your heat pumps are operating efficiently.  Depending on the
ground temperature, a geothermal system can start to heat up, lowering the
efficiency of attached equipment.  However, I would still be surprised to
learn that an air source heat pump still performed better.

Also, in order to make variable volume pumping work properly, you must
specify Isolation valves on the heat pumps.  This allows water to bypass any
heat pumps that are not calling for water flow.  This lowers the pressure in
the system.

--
Karen

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Demba Ndiaye <demba.ndiaye at setty.com>
wrote:

>  Thomas,
>

> You should definitively have more savings than that, even if there is the
> pump energy.
>
> One first thing to check: the efficiency of GSHP should be much higher than
> that of air-source heat pumps in both heating and cooling modes.

> Demba Ndiaye

Karen Walkerman
Second Law Consulting
802-238-0980