[Bldg-sim] eQuest - FCU - how to make it cycle

Mark Prince mprince at aeieng.com
Wed Sep 24 11:15:04 PDT 2008

Yuvaraj,

I believe the "intermittent" mode is the correct way to model this.

When you look at the hourly reports it appears that the fan coil is varying the airflow rate.  However, I believe eQuest is calculating the percentage of the hour that the FCU operates and then calculates an average airflow during that entire hour.  Say the FCU has a constant volume airflow capacity of 500 CFM, but during one hour it only cycles on for a third of the hour.  I believe eQuest would then report this airflow as 166 CFM for that hour in the hourly report.

Hope this helps.

If you disagree please let me know.

Sincerely,

Mark Prince
Affiliated Engineers
5802 Research Park Blvd.
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 441-6668
mprince at aeieng.com

>>> "Yuvaraj Saravanan" <Yuvaraj.Saravanan at arup.com> 9/24/2008 12:56 PM >>>
Hi All,
Does anyone know how to make a FCU cycle ON/OFF based on the zone
thermostat setting? I tried choosing the "Fan on mode" to be
intermittent in the Fan->Flow parameters tab. When I make the fan to be
intermittent, fan is cycling but the supply CFM is no more a constant
volume. It is varying the supply CFM. I observed this in the hourly
report.

ASHRAE standard 90.1 requires the fan to cycle to meet the loads during
unoccupied hours. How everybody model this in eQuest when you have a FCU
system?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Yuvaraj
Yuvaraj Saravanan, PE
Engineer

> Arup
12777 West Jefferson Boulevard Suite 200
Los Angeles CA 90066
> tel:	1 310 578 4400
dir:	1 310 578 4521
> fax:	1 310 577 7011