[Bldg-sim] interior wall with window adjacent to unconditioned area

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed Apr 22 11:48:28 PDT 2009

I have a general question about how to model and prove compliance for a
window in an interior wall that separates conditioned space from
unconditioned space.

We have a project where there is a conditioned area in the parking level
with a full height storefront window system separating the room from the
unconditioned garage.

As far as I know, this "wall" is actually an interior wall per ASHRAE
90.1-2004.  Or rather, it's not defined as an exterior wall (at least
clearly enough).  For certain modeling and compliance programs, you
can't even assign a window to an interior wall.  To further complicate
things, the entire wall is window, meaning there is no actual cavity
space for insulation (which proves difficult for things like Comcheck
compliance).

Does anyone know how ASHRAE 90.1 views this "wall".  Is it really an
exterior walls?  Are ALL walls that separate conditioned from
unconditioned space considered exterior walls?  If so, this is not
properly defined in ASHRAE.  And if not, there doesn't appear to be
anywhere that governs U-values for windows in INTERIOR walls that
separate conditioned from unconditioned area.  In fact, from what I can
tell, ASHRAE advises you to IGNORE windows in interior walls.  Which is
all fine, unless your entire wall is window.  But at the same time,
interior walls appear to require a maximum U-value of 0.120.  For a
window, this is nearly impossible.

Can anyone interpret 90.1 for me?  Am I really allowed to ignore windows
in interior walls even if they separate conditioned space from
unconditioned space?

Thanks in advance!

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200

Arlington, VA  22201-4749

703-338-5754 (Cell)

703-243-1200 (Office)

703-276-1376 (Fax)

www.ghtltd.com <http://www.ghtltd.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is the property of GHT Limited.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.  Thank you.