[Bldg-sim] Open Studio: Rescheduling in E+

Field, Kristin Kristin.Field at nrel.gov
Wed Apr 22 14:22:16 PDT 2009

Rachit,

You can make whatever modifications you want to your .idf file outside
of OpenStudio (in IDF Editor, text editor, etc.) and then bring them
into OpenStudio.  It will not overwrite any of your schedules, HVAC
equipment, etc.  If you even wanted to start with a full EP model you
have, you can open up that .idf file in OpenStudio, look at what the
geometry looks like currently, and change it however you want to within
OpenStudio.  Then you save all those geometry changes by saving the .idf
in OpSt, and you have the new geometry you wanted with the same HVAC,
lights, schedules, etc. you wanted to keep from before.  This is a
feature I really like about it - that it changes what you want to change
and leaves the rest alone.  On the flip-side, it's not a full-service
editor, so it requires you to also have another interface or be
comfortable with text to deal with HVAC/schedules.  The EP help group
and/or documentation can tell you more specifics or address any bug-type
problems you might be having, but I thought I'd answer the general
question since I've used it before.  Good luck!

Kristin