[Bldg-sim] IDA - ICE

leen peeters l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:26:36 PDT 2009

Dear all,

a few years ago I was checking which program to use for my PhD research. I
ended up with 3: TRNSYS, IDA-ICE and ESP-r. I was used to TRNSYS, but did
want to check the others before making a final choice.
I tested IDA-ICE, and my aim was to model both existing and non-existing
plant systems in a given building. The main issue was that IDA_ICE is not
open-source. And however Per and his collegues are willing to help, it
remains commercial software developped and maintained by a small commercial
company. I finally opted for ESP-r, because of its active development
community. The mian thing is that you have to go into the code, but that
will be the case for all non-standard plant simulations. Unless the
hydraulics are not important. In that case you could easily work out a
model using the equation writers in TRNSYS.

Hope that helps,

Leen