[Bldg-sim] modeling openings in Design Builder

deepa chandrashekaran creations.deepa at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 21:57:34 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I am working with Design Builder and trying to run simulations for a
building using natural ventilation. While building the model, I introduced
custom openings on the external façade.

I ran two simulations using only natural ventilation. One with all windows
closed and the other with 80% open. I input this setting in the ‘Operation’
slider bar within the ‘Openings’ tab. I was expecting the operative
temperature to increase when the windows were closed. But both simulations
had the same results.

I am not sure if there is way to model to openings. The ‘Operation’ option
was available only under the Internal windows menu and not for the external
window.

Would be helpful if anybody could suggest possible solution for this.

Thanks in advance,

Deepa