[Bldg-sim] Design Builder : Low E coated surface

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
Fri Aug 28 02:46:23 PDT 2009

WINDOW has function to flip glass.  It is a check box "flip" at the
glazing layer level.  Same function is available in DesignBuilder.

DesignBuilder includes IGDB and the rule is the same as in WINDOW,
surface 1 is facing outdoor, while surface 2 is facing indoors.  Same
rule applies to layers, first glass is outdoormost, last glass is
innermost.  In DesignBuiolder you can look at the emissivities of each
glass layer and if emissivity is lower than 0.84 (usually low-e is is
less that about 0.2), then this is low-e surface.  So if the glass that
you selected has low-e surface facing wrong side, then you can check
"flip" box and reverse it.  As somebody pointed out, this reverses the
orientation of the glass, not the order of glass in the glazing system.
Typically, you want to have one low-e surface in each gap space (having
two low-e surfaces in the same gap space provides negligible
improvement) and typically you do not want low-e facing either indoor or
outdoor (some manufacturers have started using hard coat low-e facing
indoors in order to improve U-factor of the glazing system and whole
window, but this is still pretty rare due to issues of cleaning exposed
low-e surfaces, discoloring, etc.  Also, it has negative consequences on
condensation resistance.)  Thus if you have, for example double glazing
system with Pilkington Suncool  Brilliant 30/17 (low-e glass) on the
outdoor side and Pilkington North America Optifloat  Clear (Clear) on
the indoor side, you will notice that the low-e surface on the
Pilkington Suncool  Brilliant 30/17 is surface #1, which would mean that
it faces outdoors.  So you would check flip box, which will place low-e
coating on surface #2, which would be correct becasue it would be facing
the glazing gap.

Charlie Curcija
DesignBuilder Software USA