[Bldg-sim] Air leakage, LEED, and Appendix G of ASHRAE 90.1

Andy hoover andyhoover at thebestconsultant.com
Thu Aug 27 12:07:41 PDT 2009

I take it one step further than Leonard with LEED and think ASHRAE should be
active.

You should not be able to get any LEED certification without meeting a
minimum provable level of air/vapor/moisture tightness and every building
should be required to undergo whole building commissioning with appropriate
testing to prove it.

Regarding ASHRAE, it should be a requirement that whole building
commissioning of air/vapor/moisture tightness occurs with submitted results
so that the requirement ends up in code.  Not only will this provide the
mechanism to show if buildings are meeting code requirements for
infiltration (the vast majority exceed the accepted/mandated standard) but
also will let owners compare and see how effective, therefore money saving
and what human comfort level, their structures provide compared to others.
It would be wise for ASHRAE to include provable inspection requirements so
that issues are identified as work occurs and dealt with, the whole building
commissioning/testing will only tell that you do or do not have a problem
and sometimes where the problem might be/is but not always.

Lots of assemblies and components are very specified but little
inspection/testing of them once built is required let alone the entire
building envelope, which is what really counts.  So we know the assembly is
good IF it is built properly and the building envelope is good IF every
assembly is built properly and IF every assembly is integrated properly into
the whole but we do not have any requirement to show/prove it such as
inspect, commission, and/or test/measure - crazy in my opinion.

Andy Hoover

Principal

The BEST Consultant, Inc.

Office: 678-200-7648

Fax:678-827-0574

Cell: 678-793-1159

www.thebestconsultant.com

  _____

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this information for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or information herein. If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
message. Thank you for your cooperation.