[Bldg-sim] Role of Global Solar radiation in Simulation

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Fri Mar 20 11:33:30 PDT 2009

Hello Aviruch,

Yes, there are models available for estimating the separate components of direct and diffuse when the horizontal global is known.  An initial question on this would be: did you do measurements of hourly values or daily?  I have a rudimentary model that I am willing to share with you that separates hourly global into direct and horizontal diffuse.  (The algorithms are written in BASIC and FORTRAN.)  Some recent work on this has also been done by the ASHRAE technical committee (TC-4.2, Climatic Information) that you can likely get access to.

On the second question, because all solar radiation will impact a building's energy consumption, it will also be a noticeable factor in the building's energy simulation results.  You should be seeing effects on both cooling and heating loads, or, if you are examining strictly passive measures, you should be seeing effects on the building's internal temperatures.

Regards,

LOD
Larry O. Degelman, P.E.   ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Professor Emeritus of Architecture