[Bldg-sim] Glazing heat transfer

Raoni Venâncio dos Santos Lima raoniv at ig.com.br
Fri Oct 9 12:46:37 PDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

I've noticed a slight heat loss through glazed surfaces during the whole
year. I'm usind DesignBuilder and the situation is the following:
1) climate: Brasilia (Brazil). Average temperatures around 22°C, but during
occupied periods (daytimes) the temperatures are higher (around 26°C). Solar
radiation is considerable.
2) Conditioned zone with 24°C set point temperature
3) Using a single pane glass 3mm (SHGF around 89%) form the EnergyPlus
dataset.

I wonder why the zone is losing heat through glazing even when internal
temperatures are lower than external (conditioned zone). Heat gains due to
solar radiation are ok, but I'm not sure the glazing results are fine. The
interesting thing is that the zone never gains heat from the glazing (except
due to solar radiation).

Is this a common thing? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Raoni