[Bldg-sim] Humidity Factor...?

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Mon Oct 19 09:16:50 PDT 2009

All:

I've come across some poorly documented simplified methods for accounting
for latent portion of annual ventilation/infiltration loads. The fundamental
equations used in the method include a term defined as a "Humidity Factor".

It appears that, at one time, by someone, a 'Humidity Factor' was calculated
for each TMY2 site. From what I can gather (I have a table by TMY2 city) the
'Humidity Factor' for the TMY2 data set ranged from a maximum of 3.83 (Guam)
to a minimum of 1 (Pheonix, AZ, Fairbanks, AK and several other sites with
low humidity climates). As an intermediate point  - Louisville, KY's
Humidity Factor is 2.27.

I'd like to understand how a 'Humidity Factor' is determined for a given
TMY2 dataset (again, poor documentation). My web-searches have returned
examples where others have used this factor in various energy estimating
methods - but I have found no one who has sourced the derivations.

Does anyone out there recall the fundamental method(s) used to derive the
'Humidity Factor'?

Deep thanks in advance for ANY assistance,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, CEM, PE, LEED AP
Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com
ph: (607)-327-1647