[Bldg-sim] Allowable temperature variances for unoccupied spaces per ASHRAE 55

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Apr 20 09:19:58 PDT 2010

I'm modeling the renovation of a religious facility for the purpose of
complying with EAc1.  Half of the building is housing, half is
classroom-type space.  The current occupants are extremely accommodating
to varying indoor air temperatures, mostly in the housing portion of the
building.

If I read ASHRAE 55-2004 Section 2.3 correctly, you ONLY have to comply
with requirements of the standard if it is an indoor space designed for
human occupancy for periods of not less than 15 minutes.

Therefore, in your opinion, if I was trying to comply with both EAc1 and
the ASHRAE 55-2004 credit, would I be wrong if I set the heating and
cooling setpoints for the corridors, storage areas, bathrooms, lobbies,
etc to something like 55 degrees and 85 degrees respectively?  Can
anyone see anything wrong with this?

The main reason for asking is that the Owner wants to maintain the
existing 2-pipe system.  If I was modeling this with standard 72/75
setpoint temps, I would have WAY too many unmet load hours.

And a follow up question is this:  ASHRAE 55 lists the acceptable indoor
air conditions for OCCUPIED spaces, and in general, depending on indoor
humidity levels, the acceptable temperatures range from 68-82 degrees.

Is there ANYWHERE in 90.1-2004 / Appendix G where it says you HAVE to
comply with ASHRAE 55?

If we were attempting the ASHRAE 55 credit (EQc7.1), obviously we would
have to, but if we didn't, and were only shooting for EAc1, what
prevents me from setting classrooms to 55 degrees heating and 85 degrees
cooling?  I understand that this is clearly not an ideal thermal
environment, but if the Owner of the building WANTS to run a 2-pipe
system to these temperatures, does LEED-NC v2.2 or 90.1 prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200

Arlington, VA  22201-4749

703-338-5754 (Cell)

703-243-1200 (Office)

703-276-1376 (Fax)

www.ghtltd.com <http://www.ghtltd.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is the property of GHT Limited.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.  Thank you.