[Bldg-sim] Natural Gas generation of electricity as it relates to EAc1

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Apr 20 17:15:32 PDT 2010

I think I asked this question a year ago or so, but wanted to see if
anyone had an update on this, as I believe there may have been a recent
CIR that addresses this issue (that I can't seem to find).

I'm modeling a building that is fed by an electric service that is
mostly demand based.  The building Owner has decided to use gas-fired
fuel cells in conjunction with natural gas generators to reduce demand
via peak shaving.

Someone mentioned that this might be a no-no as it relates to Appendix G
- that I would need to model the fuel cells and natural gas generators
in the baseline building as well.

Does this make sense, and has anyone seen a CIR that confirms this?

The client is using fuel cells to reduce emissions, reduce the peak
demand seen by the utility company (thereby reducing their use of
inefficient diesel generators), etc...it doesn't seem fair not to award
a project that wants to do this.

Anyone have any input?

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200

Arlington, VA  22201-4749

703-338-5754 (Cell)

703-243-1200 (Office)

703-276-1376 (Fax)

www.ghtltd.com <http://www.ghtltd.com/>

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is the property of GHT Limited.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.  Thank you.