[Bldg-sim] DOAU in Baseline vs. Proposed Model

Kimberly Killian Kimberly at NorthernArchitects.com
Thu Apr 22 09:18:08 PDT 2010

I'm with Carol. We recently submitted a model with the systems set up that way and it was accepted.
Kimberly Killian
Northern Architects, Inc.
207 King Street Suite 3
Burlington VT 05401
T: 802-658-1953
F: 802-658-2975

Original message
From: "Carol Gardner"
To: sspangle at rmf.com
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] DOAU in Baseline vs. Proposed Model

In my opinion, it should not be modeled in the baseline building and outdoor air should be added to the systems.
Carol

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Seth P. Spangler <sspangle at rmf.com> wrote:
Hello All,
For the majority of the LEED projects I work on I decouple the space load from the ventilation load by using a dedicated outdoor air unit (DAOU). Before GBCI took over the review process the proposed and baseline models contained the same number of systems meaning if we used a DOAU in the proposed model  - we modeled the same unit in the baseline. I recently received a comment to remove the DOAU from the baseline and add the ventilation air to the space load systems. For that particular model it didn’t have a very big impact so I didn’t think twice about it.
The question – should a DOAU be modeled in the baseline case or should the outdoor air load be added to the mechanical systems that take care of the space load?
Thanks
Seth Spangler, LEED® AP
Project Engineer
RMF Engineering, Inc