[Bldg-sim] DOAU in Baseline vs. Proposed Model

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Fri Apr 23 07:19:12 PDT 2010

Its an interesting problem because if the DAOU is
a system has over 5000 cfm and over 70% OA the
baseline system requires heat recovery
(G3.1.2.10).  I know because I asked the question
of ASHRAE as an Interpretation Request.  Even
though the individual systems served by the DAOU
have less than 70% OA, the baseline systems still
require heat recovery of at least 50% effectiveness.

At 11:53 AM 4/22/2010, Carol Gardner wrote:
>In my opinion, it should not be modeled in the
>baseline building and outdoor air should be added to the systems.
>Carol
>
>On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Seth P.
>Spangler <<mailto:sspangle at rmf.com>sspangle at rmf.com> wrote:
>
>Hello All,
>

>For the majority of the LEED projects I work on
>I decouple the space load from the ventilation
>load by using a dedicated outdoor air unit
>(DAOU). Before GBCI took over the review process
>the proposed and baseline models contained the
>same number of systems meaning if we used a DOAU
>in the proposed model  - we modeled the same
>unit in the baseline. I recently received a
>comment to remove the DOAU from the baseline and
>add the ventilation air to the space load
>systems. For that particular model it didn’t
>have a very big impact so I didn’t think twice about it.
>

>The question – should a DOAU be modeled in the
>baseline case or should the outdoor air load be
>added to the mechanical systems that take care of the space load?
>

>Thanks
>

>Seth Spangler, LEED® AP
>
>Project Engineer
>

>RMF Engineering, Inc