[Bldg-sim] M&E Rooms, Restrooms, storage & Thermal zoning

Jaigath Chandraprakash cjaigath at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 22:20:38 PST 2010

Hello,

I am modeling an retail building and I would just like to know if other modelers
just simply model rooms like M&E rooms, storage rooms and restrooms as
unconditioned space. The  M&E rooms and storagerooms are not heated and is just
served by exhaust fans so I can simply model it as unconditioned. Is this
correct? Table G3.1.10. HVAC Systems says that "Where no heating system exists
or heating has been specified, the heating system shall be assumed elec" and
"Where no cooling system exist or no cooling system has been specified, the
cooling system shal be identical to the system modeled in the baseline building
design". So I am thinking that I may not be following this section of Appendix
G.

For restrooms which are in the office area and has just exhaust ventilation, do
I simulate it as conditioned since it will be drawing conditioned air in the
office or should I just simulate it as unconditioned area since the room has no
thermostat?

I am also attaching a floor plan and would like to have your comments if I am
zoning right or if it has too many zones.

Thanks in advance,

Jaigath