[Bldg-sim] LEED EA P2 requirement clarification

Leonard Sciarra leonard_sciarra at gensler.com
Mon Feb 8 20:07:42 PST 2010

Seems to me, that these components if they are touched do need to be upgraded (note there are some exceptions to this (see 5.1.3)) barring those,

Two thoughts come to mind:
4.1.1.5 Changes in Space Conditioning. Whenever
unconditioned or semiheated spaces in a building are converted
to conditioned spaces, such conditioned spaces shall
be brought into compliance with all the applicable requirements
of this standard that would apply to the building envelope,
heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, service water
heating, power, lighting, and other systems and equipment of
the space as if the building were new.
So that's pretty clear, but limited in scope to particular projects,

more generally:
4.1.1.4 Replacement of Portions of Existing Buildings.
Portions of a building envelope, heating, ventilating, airconditioning,
service water heating, power, lighting, and other
systems and equipment that are being replaced shall be considered
as alterations of existing

following this to the definition and then to the scope of alterations leads one to section 4.2.1.3
4.2.1.3 Alterations of Existing Buildings. Alterations
of existing buildings shall comply with the provisions of Sections
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, provided, however, that nothing in
this standard shall require compliance with any provision of
this standard if such compliance will result in the increase of
energy consumption of the building.
Exceptions:
a. A building that has been specifically designated as
historically significant by the adopting authority or is
listed in The National Register of Historic Places or
has been determined to be eligible for listing by the
US Secretary of the Interior need not comply with
these requirements.
b. Where one or more components of an existing building
or portions thereof are being replaced, the annual
energy consumption of the comprehensive design
shall not be greater than the annual energy consumption
of a substantially identical design, using the same
energy types, in which the applicable requirements of
Sections 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, as provided in Section
4.2.1.3, and such compliance is verified by a design
professional, by the use of any calculation methods
acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

Thanks

Leonard Sciarra
Senior Associate
+1 (312) 577.6580 Direct