[Bldg-sim] FW: insulation hot humid climates

Paul Grahovac paul.grahovac at prosoco.com
Thu Feb 25 11:31:06 PST 2010

Aushim

  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solarchimney.jpg>

You might consider a solar chimney.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney

You would want to minimize air leakage in the building envelope to
maximize the draw of cool air from underground.

I think I've seen configurations where there is no actual chimney, but
rather a chimney effect is realized by a vent located in the top of the
wall across the room from the vent from the underground.  (Same as shown
above, but with no actual chimney constructed on the outside of the
building.)  Since you will have a metal roof, you should have a lot of
hot air at the ceiling that will ventilate when the cool air vent is
opened on the floor thus cooling the room.

Paul Grahovac, LEED AP

Product Manager

R-GUARD Air & Water-Resistive Barrier

PROSOCO, Inc.