[Bldg-sim] eQuest QA/QC Validation?

Josh Greenfield JGreenfield at primerachicago.com
Tue Jan 19 12:38:16 PST 2010

I'll be working on an energy modeling project in the latter part of 2010
and the client requires that all software be formally validated via
Quality Assurance/Quality Control procedures.  My question for the
message board is in regard to is there anyone who has gone thru this
process with eQuest specifically and if so, were you able to acquire an
example external source eQuest file (inputs and outputs) so you could
reproduce the same inputs and outputs on the validated
software-installed computer?

On the doe2.com website there is the following...

DOE-2.2 Reports and Modeling Quality Control Concepts

(The DOE-2.2 Reports-and-QC download is a ZIP archive that contains a
set of three documents in Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) and
example eQUEST/DOE-2.2 input and DOE-2.2 simulation results output; the
documents provide an explanation of the detailed DOE-2.2 output text
results file.):

http://doe2.com/download/eQUEST/DOE22Reports-and-QC_2001-06-07.zip
<http://doe2.com/download/eQUEST/DOE22Reports-and-QC_2001-06-07.zip>

...but, that link is dead. (anyone have this .zip file already
downloaded??)

There was a post from 2008:

> Dear all,

> Is there any validation or testing form that we can find e-Quest

> results are correct.

> like for energy plus has been tested against the IEA Bestest building

> load and HVAC test.

Which got this in response:

The results of ASHRAE 140 testing of eQUEST are posted in the doe2.com
eQUEST download area:

http://doe2.com/download/equest/ASHRAE_Standard140_DOE22-eQUEST_Results.
pdf
<http://doe2.com/download/equest/ASHRAE_Standard140_DOE22-eQUEST_Results
.pdf>

...but where would I be able to find the exact inputs and outputs used
and generated via this ASHRAE 140 test?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome...thanks!

Josh Greenfield, PE, REP, LEED AP
Energy Services Manager
Associate Vice President
312.242.6392 Direct