[Bldg-sim] FEA heat-transfer analysis of envelope designs

Scott Schuetter SSchuetter at ecw.org
Tue Jan 19 12:03:33 PST 2010

Josh,

I don't have any experience with Elmer or GiD, but I do have some experience with ANSYS. When we ran into parts with large aspect ratios, we would try and use 2-D or 1-D elements. The drywall and studs will predominantly conduct heat in one direction anyways. You can check this with a quick Biot number calculation. So, if GiD has these type of elements available I would try using them in concert with your 3-D elements.

Scott Schuetter
Energy Center of Wisconsin
PH: 608-238-8276 x149