[Bldg-sim] FEA heat-transfer analysis of envelope designs

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
Tue Jan 19 12:35:22 PST 2010

Somebody already pointed out, but to clarify, THERM program does excellent
job at modeling 2-D heat transfer in building envelopes.  It was originally
developed for modeling fenestration systems (windows, doors, etc.), but it
can be used for any other façade element, since they are generally simpler
than intricate details of window frames.  The benefits of using THERM are
numerous, but to cite few most important ones:

-          Free with simple registration (don’t be fooled by the fact that
it is free to the public, because substantial funding went into its
development by US DOE)

-          Has automated mesher and error estimator/mesh refinement with no
user intervention (fully automated quality mesh generation)

-          Has powerful drawing capabilities and import from dxf and scanned
drawings

-          Has extensive library of building materials (users can add their
own, but the built in library is impressive)

-          Has built in correlations for convective heat transfer in
building cavities

-          Has library of default boundary conditions appropriate for
buildings (user can add their own too)

-          In addition to 2-D conduction heat transfer model, has detailed
radiation model using grey body radiation enclosure algorithms for both
cavitie4s and indoor/outdoor boundaries

-          Calculates U-factors based on indoor-outdoor temperature
difference.

-          Has powerful output capabilities (color flooded plots of
temperatures, heat fluxes, mesh display among other things)

Charlie

DesignBuilder Software