[Bldg-sim] Green Guide for Health Care v 2.2

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Tue Jul 13 08:55:26 PDT 2010

Thanks Drury - that was just what I was looking for.
In particular I am interested in opinions on the following section
from Appendix 1:
Design Assumptions & Procedures for Modeling for the GGHC Energy Credits
Ventilation, air changes and air pressure relationships: Use specific
ventilation rates, air changes, and
pressure relationships, as required by authorities having
jurisdiction. If the authorities having
jurisdiction have no specific requirements, use the requirements from
2006 AIA Guidelines for Design
and Construction of Hospital and Health Care Facilities, or most
recent version.
In particular, considering LEED EAp2/EAc1 and the modelling of the
outdoor air flow for the Budget case, what is generally accepted as
"the authority having jurisdiction"?  Hypothetically, could the
hospital administrator be considered the authority having jurisdiction?

This is how the GGHC views the issued:
Process Ventilation loads: Special ventilation requirements in a
health care facility are not unusual.
While Table OCC-1 quantifies the typical ventilation in a health care
facility, some spaces may require
higher ventilation rates. The higher ventilation rates shall be
simulated in both the Baseline and
Proposed building simulation runs, making this an energy neutral feature.
It would appear to me that for health care facilities, the design
team is not constrained by the outdoor air amounts quoted in various standards.

At 10:08 PM 7/12/2010, Drury B Crawley wrote:
>Easier than I thought--it's the E&A section, beginning on page 33.
>

>On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Chris Jones
><<mailto:cj at enersave.ca>cj at enersave.ca> wrote:
>Thanks very much Drury.
>

>At 07:39 PM 7/12/2010, Drury B Crawley wrote:
>>There seem to be long and short versions on the GGHC web
>>site.  I'll let you know if I have success.  I vaguely remember
>>this Appendix... may even have a copy on a backup drive somewhere.
>>
>>On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Chris Jones
>><<mailto:cj at enersave.ca>cj at enersave.ca> wrote:
>>The Green Guide for Health Care requires modelling as noted:
>>"Model anticipated building energy performance in accordance with
>>ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G as modified by the Design Assumptions
>>in GGHC Appendix 1, using DOE2.1E or Energy Plus."
>>So far I have not been able to locate the GGHC Appendix 1 document.
>>

>>Chris Jones
>>14 Oneida Avenue
>>Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.
>>Tel.  416-203-7465