[Bldg-sim] effective R-value cavity insulation

Kevin Kyte KKyte at watts-ae.com
Sat Jun 5 09:13:29 PDT 2010

I am curious what the relationship is between cavity depth, rated insulation, and effective insulation in framed walls.  I am referencing the ASHRAE 90.1 doc because it is really the only one I have on this subject.  I have charted Table A9.2B and a logarithmic trendline appears to be a good fit for extrapolating.  If anyone in academia, industry, or the societies has more information on this subject I would certainly be grateful to receive a good lead.  Thank you.

Kevin Kyte, LEED (r) AP
Watts Architecture & Engineering, P.C.
95 Perry Street, Suite 300
Buffalo, NY  14203