[Bldg-sim] effective R-value cavity insulation

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Mon Jun 7 05:50:42 PDT 2010

Kevin,

One reference for calculating U-Factors for wood-framed, metal-framed
and masonry walls is the 2009 ASHRAE Handbook - Fundamentals, Chapter
27. There is a section on "Two-dimensional U-factor calculation", which
describes the parallel-path, isothermal-planes, zone and modified zone
methods of calculating overall heat transfer rates through wall
assemblies. Earlier versions of Fundamentals (2005, 2001 etc.) will also
have some background information.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, EIT, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers &
Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608