[Bldg-sim] differences between energy simulations programs

Clark Denson cdenson at ssr-inc.com
Wed Mar 24 12:39:46 PDT 2010

The way I understand it, the effect of thermal mass is all in how the
heating/cooling loads are calculated.  TRACE is unique from many other
programs in that the user can choose the heating/cooling load
methodology that will be used.  Depending on your choice, thermal mass
will be calculated differently.  Most incorporate some kind of Transfer
Function Method (TFM), and each method is based on calculations and
algorithms from ASHRAE publications such as the 1972, 1985, and 2001
ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbooks, ASHRAE Research Project #359, and the
ASHRAE Toolkit for Building Load Calculations.

So the question of "What are the differences between TRACE and Energy
Simulation program 'X'?" is complicated by the additional question,
"Which Load Calculation Methodology in TRACE did you select?"

Clark Denson, PE