[Bldg-sim] differences between energy simulations programs

Justin Spencer jspencer17 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:40:26 PDT 2010

You need to have some mechanism for passively charging your mass to really
get the major energy benefits of the mass.  If you have a building that's
being actively heated and cooled all the time, with no passive inputs, then
the mass won't do much except reduce your peak thermal load some, provided
you get an actual temperature differential between the mass and the space
(i.e. the system is sized correctly and the space temperature exceeds the
typical set point at the peak hour).

So, you can couple passive solar input to your mass, and use that mass to
sink heat for later (rather than having the space temperature rise).  The
passive solar input to the space has to be higher than the thermal load on
the space for a while to get in energy benefit from the mass storage.  Or
you can use passive night cooling to cool your mass for later.

There are many situations where a building would not be able to take
advantage of mass, so anecdotes of one particular building model not
realizing savings from increased proves that not all buildings will see
improvements with increased mass, not that increased mass has zero savings
in all cases.  My personal experience in modeling mass shows that mass
makes a huge difference in the efficacy of passive heating and cooling
strategies.  I think this paper talks about some of what we found:
http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2007/p120_final.pdf