[Bldg-sim] Modelling Heat Pipe Question in eQUEST.

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Thu Mar 18 04:51:57 PDT 2010

A couple of thoughts -

- in eQUEST, when a heat recovery device is added, a new report, "ERV"
is added to the .sim file.  This shows monthly peak and total heat
recovery along with the added energy for fans.

- static pressure added on the 2nd heat recovery tab does not show on
the SV-A report but does show on the ERV report and is included in fan
energy on the BEPS.  It could be that your heat recovery is being masked
by your added fan energy

- the default control for ERV's is "float" which maximizes the heat
recovery at all times (which is what will happen if there is no control
on the ERV and is probably true of a heat pipe unless you are bypassing
the OA during free cooling.  It could be lost free cooling is masking
heat recovery.

- with regard to the fields you are running as parametric runs -- right
click the field to get help on the inputs.

- finally -- how are you creating the make-up air unit?  If you are
using the OA-FROM keyword, there are issues with how that is currently
modelled which will prevent heat recovery from seeing the exhaust flow
and exhaust temperature you are expecting.

Hope this helps.  Note that there is also an eQUEST specific list at
onebuilding.org.