[Bldg-sim] Modeling a Green Roof

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Fri Sep 10 13:52:05 PDT 2010

  Chris,

In my experience, the impact of a green roof on the building energy is
pretty small.  In the winter, the soil layer is reasonably saturated so
isn't adding much insulation.  In the summer, there is some shading
effect to reduce solar but it is difficult to quantify.

Attached is "Greenroofs in Canada" which includes a look at the energy
impact of a greenroof on a building.  It does discuss some modelling but
the increase in insulation value seems excessive to me.

Cheers,

Brian